Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Gale Virtual Reference

This week, we are to explore Gale Virtual Reference Library. This resource offers e-books. I clicked on Title List and found a list of books of nonfiction info. Crime and Punishment in American Reference Library. The copy write is 2005 and info that includes past information on colonial period and current info such as cyber crimes. This info could be used in a classroom to discuss how cyber bullying crime and its effects on society. I can share this information with our history teacher. Students can expand their ideas on why/effects and have a discussion. I have in the past, gone in the history room and showed the students how to use sites/databases such as Gale Virtual Reference to find info for their research. The next research question is find info on something specific, I look up zinc and found 820 ebooks. The most difficult task is to narrow your topic. Next, I searched - "zinc in food" and found eight resources. Then I used the listen feature which is unique for anyone needing extra help in pronouncing the words and reading the information. Some of the information in these references in at a higher level which means much of the vocabulary will be at a higher level as well. This listening feature also highlights the text as it reads to you, so you can follow along. I responded to Mrs. Kafka's blog on oysters being a great source for zinc. I looked at Mike from Deadwood's blog and the information that was researched - news from the Middle East. No one else has finished this week's question. I have to stay ahead of the game because I'm busy refereeing games.

2 comments:

  1. I just finished this week's assignment this afternoon, and totally understand trying to "stay ahead" due to busy schedules :-) I agree with your comment about using the "listen" feature for some of the high vocabulary that is used in these resources. I commented in my post that much of this information is written for at least college-age people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review of Gale Virtual Reference Library. Sharing the history info in GVRL with your history teacher is a great idea! The history section is really large. Most of the content in GVRL is appropriate for middle school-adult..

    Thanks for your post! Julie

    ReplyDelete